- Architecture ServedProject Featured On:Architecture Served — 5/14/12
Extension of Museum of Photography (+)
- TheExtension of Photography Museum in Arnsberg is a project that is dealing withthe contemporary issue of today's context and the situations that areevery day life, through which architecture is creating problems and solutions.The idea of not knowing how the space is created and where it goes andaccidentally crossing thermal baths inside of the museum serves only to make ashock.
- ThePROJECT was created as a part of an experimental thesis which has a goal toexplore the most fine and invisible connections in architecture. CreatingINVISIBLE and ILLUSION was a goal. Visually the space that was created throughthe non-intervention does not exist. You can not see it. There is a hidden messageof not knowing what actually happened. The problem emerged when all the existingbuildings in the 1920-s courtyard were by the wish of the client in the firstapproach planned for demolish, which created counter reaction of citizens. Inthe first spatial concepts few solutions show what was the intention whenreplacing buildings was still a wish. Fortunately, these solutions wereproblematic because of the insufficient space and heritage.
- Whensolving an architectural problem as a life problem, approach was to leaveeverything invisible. The space that was created had three times bigger spacethen it was expected. Advantage is that the underground level beneath thecourtyard has linked all the old buildings with its warm connections. Thetechnological side of the project is a problem of how to insert the new in toold making a cut with the materials and the structure and respecting every oldwall, door and window. Walking in the Museum you can find the traces and oldsituations that represent buildings spirit as it once was. Anything an logicalis strongly wanted and anticipated.
- Entiremuseum has one additional character in the form a HOTTHERMAL BATHS. Placing a characteristic program of the area of Sauerland andthe city of Arnsberg into the building itself makes a strong contribution tothe site specific in the project. You can watch the exhibition but you can also have the entire day in thehidden level in the baths.
- Youcan stay hidden, you can be seen, you can see the new, you can see the old asit was, and you can say that it was done with invisible and quite architecture,which refuses any kind of spectacle but our experiences.
- Physical model /// photographies