Block House (Residential project in Mexico City)
- Too much time we´ve accepted theforce of gravity as an imperative. The weight of an apple doesn´t have to tiethe architecture to the floor; that which makes us humans consists ontranscending what seem natural.
- Block House materializes the freedom that creativity gives to men. It amazes with the formal use of two rectangular prisms, one built in exposed concrete on which the other is held, creating a perfect balance. A black box that floats over the garden, barely supported by a few steel columns.
- The interiors are opened to de exterior, appropriating the air and the site; it´s volume embraces every cubic inch of space. We wish we could continue our walk through the living room over the emptiness and into the garden; the exterior fuses with the interior.
- A slight lag of the superior volume gives place to the master piece of the project, a pond or a swimming lane, depending on the occasion. Visible from almost every room in the house, it serves as a core from which all the others spaces emerge.
- Inside, we walk in wide spaces; subtle transitions lead us from one environment to the next. Three floor plans connected by a stairwell that serves as a spine; an underground floor plan for all the services and gym, the middle floor plan for the public spaces and a top volume were the private areas an semi-public can be found.
Materials in neutral colors ranging from gray to beige, give life to the carefully selected furnishings. Colors appear suddenly as the brushstrokes in a painting, as decorative and ornamental elements.
- Block House, a defiance of gravity, as a metaphor of the human challenge of flying ...